Just wondering if Bloglines is checking my site. It seems they haven’t looked at me since 6:30 last night. Why? Do I have someting set up wrong? ARGH!!
I’m not longer a split personality!!! It was becoming very hard to blog with three different blogs! When I heard about MT and the ability to categorize posts – it sounded perfect and it really is! The only problem is moving posts and comments to this site. But it’s work I’ll gladly put up with in order to gain a bit of ease to blogging! And, those of you who know me as BelovedLamb or KnitnMom or Quiltnmom – now you can learn more about me, my family and ALL the things who make me who I am. 🙂
Earlier this week we had The Meeting to start the process to have J2 assessed for learning disabilities. I never did get a moment to write up anything and I really wanted to sort of ‘record’ the experience.
I met with our teacher, Brandy, a psychologist, Linda, the special ed specialist, Kathy and another woman observed our meeting for a class she is taking (with my approval of course). It reminded me of every team meeting I had in Oregon when J3 was getting occupational therapy — so that was nice.
We started by listing all J2’s strengths – which only Brandy and myself could do as they havent’ as yet met him. Then we addressed our concerns and what we had done to try to address them. Then they listed questions they heard me address or they had themselves – things like:
:: Clarify what are realistic expectations
:: What is his visual discrimination like?
:: Inability to pronounce still an issue?
:: Comprehension is not evidenced in language
and then we brainstormed ideas to help.
It was interesting – I thought you would identify his weakness and then focus there. But they said, no, we focus on what he is good at and then approach his weakness slowly – gaining confidence as we go. Totally makes sense now.
Some strategies we are going to take are:
:: Story board (I’ll tell him a simple story/sentences) and he’ll create a story board or comic strip.
:: Pantomine – showing comprehension
:: Salt tray writing – also sand paper letters, writing on his back or palm
:: Labeling the house – much like you would for someone learning a new language. As he approaches the door and sees “door” he’s brain will connect them.
:: Picture books with words (similar to a dictionary) to do the same as above.
:: Draw a picture – write a sentence (me), J2 copies it, then reads it (I “shadow read” if necessary). Bind them to create a book that he can ‘read’ each day.
Then we will be setting up some tests – They are going to assess his speech and language – mainly expressive language and his vocabulary. They are also going to check his ‘phonemic awareness’. They are going to be calling me today to schedule those.
I’m merging my following blogs:
into one address: http://www.osbornz.net/journal
If you use something like Bloglines to subscribe to one of my blogs, you can use the following feed:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? I’m not a snob…but I’m looking forward to expanding beyond 100% acrylic. However, having said that…I’m a mom and don’t have time for alot of handwashing. 🙁
2. Do you spin? Crochet? In addition to knitting, I also crochet and am learning to quilt.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) Smoke
4. How long have you been knitting? 1.5 years
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Working on one for my hubby – I’ll be posting it on my blog soon 🙂
6. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Vanilla is always safe. But I also like more daring flavors like gardenia at times. I’m not a big fan of strawberry smells – ugh!
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Since learning how to knit I’ve sort of neglected everything else. I am learning how to quilt and I’ve crocheted for years.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all sorts of music – classical, broadway showtunes, contemporary pop, 80s (ok – I have a real love for the 80s – gosh, I miss it!), country, contemporary Christian. I’m really out of it – still cassettes only in my car – and I just realized I have nothing but Veggie Tales and the like in my van.
10. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? I like reds and purples – Remember having your “colors” done? I’m a Winter.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live in a house with 3 of my 4 sons and my DH of almost 18 years. One of my sons has a cockatiel which I care for (sigh)
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) I’m really living my life dream…ok, if it was a dream…Joshie would be alive still. But, being able to be at home and involved in my kids lives…that’s the best job for me! Ok…maybe unlimited funds would be cool! 😉
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I’m still such a newbie – I’ve not run across one I don’t like
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I don’t have one that I know of!
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? No real obsession – it’s ALL an obsession. I want to knit Christmas stockings though. Have a book – just need to get the yarn and the courage. 🙂
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I don’t have a favorite yet. I like it all – it calms me down.
17. What are you knitting right now? a poncho, 2 scarves, socks, a sweater for my niece (on indefinite hold), an afghan for my DH – and the “Thing” from Jacqueline Fee’s “Sweater Workshop”. When the “Thing” is done…I’ll start my
“Son of the Thing” – my first sweater.
18. What do you think about ponchos? I’m making one right now. I decided I deserved something for ME and it seemed to be the easiest project.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circular – easier to hold.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Plastic over aluminum. But I want to try bamboo.
21. Are you a sock knitter? Learning…I can’t figure out how to turn the heel though. 🙁
22. How did you learn to knit? I took a class after my son died to keep my hands and mind busy. :/
23. How old is your oldest UFO? 1 yr
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? I like lambs – my nickname is BelovedLamb
25. What is your favorite holiday? 4th of July and Thanksgiving
26. Is there anything that you collect? Willow Tree Figurines (I started getting them as gifts after losing Joshie) and lambs